This is a relatively easy pattern, so don't be intimidated by the simple 8 stitch left cable. There are plenty of online videos to help out if you're a first-timer. This video by the Crafts Channel is particularly helpful.
I've made plenty of variations of this pattern, but this is the first time I've fully written it out.
These scarflettes were made as early holiday presents. Even though they are short scarves, they are definitely less fussy but still warm, which makes them great for places that don't get too cold.
- I used a smaller gauge than recommended on the Big Wool package because I wanted a tighter gauge, but ultimately that's up to you. I think it's a bit too much effort to knit up a swatch for a small project like a scarflette, so don't let it worry you too much.
- With the above note in mind, my finished scarflette came out to 62x20cm.
- When it's all knitted up, you'll see that your scarflette looks a bit pinched where the cable stitches are. To fix this, pull some of the yarn through the cable stitches so they are more even.
- After knitting up the scarflette, and before sewing on the buttons, I like to lightly press and steam it with an iron with a cloth over the scarflette. I pin it to my ironing board if necessary. Be careful not to press hard! It should be gentle and light steaming. This helps to maintain a flat shape.
- I used two 3mm buttons, but feel free to make more button holes if you'd like and adjust accordingly for the size of your buttons.
- CO - cast on
- K - knit
- P - purl
- Sl - slip
- CN - cable needle
- BO - bind off
- 100g of Rowan Big Wool in your desired color
- US 15/ 10mm knitting needles
- Large size cable needle or US15/10mm DPN
- Stitch counter (optional, but recommended, or take notes)
- Two large buttons
- Yarn needle
Row 1: K all
Row 2-6: Slip 1st stitch purlwise, K all
Row 7: Sl purlwise, K2, Sl, K10, Sl, K3
Row 8: Sl purlwise, K2, P, K, P8, K, P, K3
Row 9-16: Repeat Rows 7 & 8 four more times
Row 17: Sl purlwise, K2, Sl, K, Sl 4 sts to CN and hold to front, K4, K4 from CN, K, Sl, K3
Row 18: Sl purlwise, K2, P, K, P8, K, P, K3
Row 19-30 : Repeat Rows 7 & 8 six times
Row 31-32: Repeat Rows 17 &18
Row 33-44: Repeat Rows 7 & 8 six times
Row 45-46: Repeat Rows 17 &18
Row 47-58: Repeat Rows 7 & 8 six times
Row 59-60: Repeat Rows 17 &18
Row 61-72: Repeat Rows 7 & 8 six times
Row 73-74: Repeat Rows 17 &18
Row 75-82: Repeat Rows 7 & 8 four times
Row 83: Sl purlwise, K all
Button Hole Rows
Row 84: Sl purlwise, K4, BO1, K1, BO1, K9, BO1, K1, BO1, K2
Row 85: Sl purlwise, K2, Turn and CO2, Turn normal, K8, Turn and CO2, Turn normal, K3
Row 86-88: Sl purlwise, K all
Row 89: BO loosely.
Weave in ends.
- Gently and lightly steam.
- Sew on buttons. I like to overlap the scarf and find where the button holes line up with the cables.
Please comment or e-mail me with any questions you may have!